- El arte de tratar un diente internamente -
Endodontics, from endo (inside) and odontos (tooth) is the name given to the procedure that removes the nerve or pulp of the tooth(s) that have been affected due to deep caries, complicated tooth fracture or extensive resin, where it is performed for restorative treatment purposes. This procedure has a high success rate, although it should be noted that each tissue reacts differently to dental treatment. This treatment will be the first option prior to tooth extraction
Síntomas para identificar si necesitas una endodoncia o Tratamiento de Conductos
- Increased and prolonged sensitivity when drinking cold and/or hot beverages
- Spontaneous pain or pain provoked by chewing or occlusion
- History of dentoalveolar trauma or when you receive a blow at the dental level
- Color change associated with trauma or orthodontic treatment
- Presence of abscess or contour deformity (swelling)
- Acute or throbbing pain that does not stop with medications
Recomendaciones al terminar tu tratamiento de endodoncia
- You should request periodic follow-up appointments after treatment.
- Restoration should be carried out within a maximum of 8 days to avoid contamination of the treatment.
- During the period in which the tooth is under treatment (1 to 8 days) you should avoid sticky foods so that the temporary cementum is not dislodged.
- You should avoid hard foods to prevent fractures.
- To be successful in the treatment, you must have a good oral hygiene at home and comply with periodic controls.
CIGARETTE SMOKERS ARE 70% MORE LIKELY TO NEED ROOT CANALS THAN NON-SMOKERS.
Preguntas frecuentes acerca del tratamiento de Endodoncia
One of the first questions that comes to mind when we are going to undergo a root canal is whether it will hurt; and it is normal because we know that the teeth contain nerves and are close to soft tissues. For everyone’s peace of mind, we tell you that it is an operation that is performed under local anesthesia, so the pain is none or minimal, although it should be noted that it will also depend on the pain tolerance of each person and if you are very nervous or calm before undergoing the treatment.
For example, you can relax by listening to music with your headphones to avoid hearing the sound of the dentist’s instruments, control your breathing, and if necessary go to the appointment with someone else. More than feeling pain, the procedure is usually uncomfortable, but nothing more.
Generally, endodontic treatment is usually a definitive treatment, although sometimes it is necessary to perform it again on another tooth. Sometimes endodontic treatment does not work as expected, usually because not all the bacteria present in the dental pulp could be eliminated. In these cases, and after the dentist’s assessment, a second cleaning of the pulp canal is performed, reaching the root of the tooth in order to preserve the tooth and the patient’s natural dentition.
Est epidemiologist Dra. Elizabeth Krall Kaye, Boston University Research Department.
Get to know our
LEAVE US YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION
Schedule an appointment at your nearest location.